Post History - Northcutt-Laaker Post 292

You Can Zoom In On The Photos On This Page. Click On The Image To Enlarge. Click On That Image To Enlarge Even More.

[Northcutt] [Laaker] Photo on the left: "Stanley O. Northcutt", son of Nicholas B. and Mary Etta Northcutt, was born in Dry Ridge, Kentucky on October, 21, 1896. He entered the Army on September 6,1918 at Hamilton, Ohio and was assigned to the 32nd Co.,8th Training Battalion, 158th Depot Brigade at Camp Sherman, Ohio. He died of pneumonia on October 7, 1918 at Camp Sherman and is buried in Gardnerville Cemetery at Gardnerville, Kentucky.

Photo on the right: "Ervin H. Laaker", son of H. William and Anna May Laaker, was born in Dearborn County, Indiana on December 3, 1892. He entered the Army on June 26, 1918 at Lawrenceburg, Indiana and was assigned to Company G, 335th Infantry of the 84th Division at Camp Sherman, Ohio and embarked for overseas service on September 4, 1918. He died of pneumonia on October 30, 1918 and was buried in the American Cemetery at Ravigny, Meuse, France. Following the end of hostilities he was reburied in Oakdale Cemetery at Dillsboro.

[Breaking Ground] The actual preliminary work leading to the formation of a Legion Post in Dillsboro occured early in the year 1920. Prior to the first regular meeting, thirty had signed as members, also the name of the new post had been chosen. The name Northcutt-Laaker was selected in honor of two individuals from this immediate community who failed to return from serving their country.

The desire for a home and club became evident during post meetings early in 1947. After much discussion and information from posts at Versallies and Osgood, who at the time acquired homes, it was determined that a new set of By-Laws was needed and that it was necessary to incorporate the organization under the laws of Indiana. [ Date of Non-Profit Domestic Corporation, State of Indiana - 1/5/1948 ] This having been accomplished, the problem of a satisfactory site was solved by the purchase of a lot from Lee R. Roberts in the amount of $250.00.

[Breaking Ground] The next step was the presentation and discussion of proposed blue prints and approximate cost of the proposed building. The estimated cost of $15,000.00 and building plans was approved and the Trustees, Harold Moeller, Albert Ohlmansick, Dale Berner and Clyde Sieskerman were authorized to devise means and raise the necessary funds.

Certicates of Indebtedness with a face value of $25.00 each were agreed on and approved by the post as the best method of financing the program. These certificates in the tatal of $7425.00 were subscribed for by one hundred of the post members. Had not these individual members advanced the initial funds, the home as we find it today would not have been possible and it is believed that due recognition should be given them by listing their names. however, practically each and every member contributed by donating their labor in practically every phase of the building craft.

The cost of the home and club was $14,925.00. A mortgage of $7,500.00 was given on the building and contents to the Dillsboro State Bank. The Building Committee consisted of the following:

Clyde Siekerman
Charles Eaglin
Charles Jewett
Walter Gerster
Walter Rump
Paul Ent
Horace Heitmeyer
Floyd Zimmerman

[Breaking Ground] The actual construction began on June 7, 1948 and was completed and informally opened to the members on August 27, 1948.
The Dedication of the home was held on June 18, 1949. State Commander, Joseph Lutes gave the principal address, however, Past State Commander, W. I. Brunton and State Publicity Officer, Frank Meyers assisted in the ceremonies, The committee in charge of the dedication ceremonies were:

Arthur Gerster, Chairman

John Lewis
Charles Jewett
Russell Eaglin
Elmer Ashcraft

[Fish Fry Coming Up] On July 28,1949 our finances were such that the mortgage held by the Dillsboro State Bank in the amount of $7,500.00 was retired and properly burned in a fitting ceremony attended by 126 members of the post. Judge Lester Baker, a member of the post gave a very fine address suitable to the occasion.

On September 30, 1949 the first of the Certificates of Indebtedness owed to our members were retired and on May 25, 1950 the last of the remaining certificates were burned in a fitting ceremony by our Department Athletic Officer, William Clarkson, who was assisted by the Department Sgt-at-Arms, Carl Schmidt, both of Indianapolis.

[Clarence Jackson] This history was written and submitted by Clarence Jackson, now residing in sunny Florida.