Civil War Era National Cemeteries: Honoring Those Who Served
"Note - While there are memorials to both sides that fought in the Civil War it seems there are only two publicly-supported spaces dedicated to the Confederacy in Indiana. I would hope that these not be removed."Woodlawn Monument Site
Terre Haute, Indiana
Woodlawn Monument Site is located within Woodlawn Cemetery, a public burial ground approximately one mile north of downtown Terre Haute, Indiana, near the banks of the Wabash River. In 1912, the Federal Government erected the monument here to commemorate 11 Confederate soldiers who died in a local prison camp during the Civil War.
During the Civil War, the 11 Confederate soldiers who died while in captivity at the local prison were buried in Woodlawn Cemetery. In 1912, an 11-foot tall, granite obelisk was erected in the cemetery to honor these Confederates. Located within a circular plot at the intersection of Wabash and Central Avenues, near the south end of the cemetery, the monument features a bronze plaque, with the names of the 11 prisoners. The monument is also known as the 9th Tennessee Cavalry Battalion Monument, as 10 of the 11 soldiers were members of that regiment led by Lieutenant Colonel George Gantt.
Woodlawn Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Terre Haute. Established in 1839, the cemetery is the final resting place for prominent local citizens, including several mayors and congressmen. Also buried at Woodlawn is Union Major General Charles Cruft, an Indiana native who fought at the Battle of Bull Run, and led troops at the Battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Chattanooga, and Nashville.
Crown Hill Confederate Plot
Crown Hill Confederate Plot, within the confines of the privately owned Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis, Indiana, is the final resting place for more than 1,600 Confederate prisoners of war. The mass grave is marked with a granite obelisk. The names of those believed to be buried there are listed on ten bronze plaques mounted on granite blocks in front of the monument.
Early in the Civil War, Camp Morton, located just north of Indianapolis served as an important recruitment and training center for the Union Army. The camp later became a major detention facility after the Union victory at Fort Donelson, Tennessee, in February 1862, when the Union sent thousands of captured Confederates north as prisoners of war. From 1862 to 1865, more than 9,000 prisoners passed through Camp Morton; an estimated 1,700 died from disease and injury, often exacerbated by the poor camp conditions.
The Confederate dead from Camp Morton were first buried in Indianapolis' Greenlawn Cemetery. Initially, volunteers buried Confederate soldiers, as national cemeteries were built only for Union soldiers. Until the turn of the 20th century, Congress made no effort to provide for or identify Confederate burial sites. In 1912, the Federal Government erected a 27-foot tall monument to commemorate the Confederate dead at Greenlawn, as individual graves could not be identified and marked with headstones. In 1928, this monument was relocated to Garfield Park, three miles south of downtown, where it still stands today. In 1933, the remains of the Confederate soldiers were reinterred to a mass grave located in Crown Hill Cemetery and marked by a new six-foot tall granite monument. A plaque dedicates the memorial to the “1,616 Unknown Confederate Soldiers who died at Indianapolis while Prisoners of War.” Sixty years later, an effort led by two Indianapolis police officers to identify the remains buried in the mass grave culminated in the dedication of ten markers that list the names of Confederates who died at Camp Morton and are believed to be buried in the Confederate plot.
The plot is located near the center of Crown Hill Cemetery, in Section 32, Lot 285, approximately 1,700 feet northwest of the main gate, and 1,300 feet northeast of the Crown Hill National Cemetery. The plot is marked by a simple, white post-and-chain fence.